I finished the aforementioned bag (complete with care label) a few days ago, and I've been looking at it trying to decide what it is about it that's missing.
I decided more sky blue was needed...so off I went in search of sky blue buttons, specifically the 'matte' colour ones, not pearlescent. Three different fabric and haberdashery shops later, I was forced to conclude that nowhere has any at all! There aren't nearly enough sky blue buttons in the world.
I do, however, have a stash of white and cream buttons from charity shops and salvaged from old clothes. And I have a LOT of dylon dyes.
1) Take some white and cream buttons and give them a good wash. (those pictured below aren't the ones I dyed but similar)
2) Put a sprinkling of multi purpose dye in an old bowl you don't especially care about getting stained, and add some boiling water.
3) Add the buttons.
4) Leave them in the hot dye-y water for a bit, and test them every now and then by scooping them out with a spoon to see what colour they are.
5) When the buttons are the colour you're after, scoop them out and give them a rinse, then rinse them again.
6) Leave to dry on some tissue
Some buttons didn't dye at all, and some slurped up the dye more than others. It will take a bit of practice getting used to which buttons dye best, but its definitely something I'll try again - dead easy